Scientist Intern 2023 (US)
RemoteRemote - National, United StatesScience
At Tumult Labs, we are a world-class team, passionate about expanding the use and sharing of data while respecting individual privacy. Powered by the proven science of differential privacy, and building on decades of groundbreaking privacy research by our founders and scientists, our platform gives institutions the clarity and control to manage sensitive personal data at enterprise scale. Upcoming releases of a number of prominent public data sets are currently being built on our platform.
You will work with a small dedicated team of scientists and engineers to develop and deploy advanced privacy tools. The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to make a number of contributions in multiple areas, including: designing algorithmic privacy solutions; developing product specifications and prototypes; and measuring the properties of privacy solutions empirically and/or theoretically. Scientist interns will also work with clients, formulate concrete problem statements from requirements, and document privacy solutions.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in a PhD or Masters program in Computer Science (or a closely related discipline) along with the ability to learn continuously and work independently.
- A strong research background related to Differential Privacy.
- Experience with Python (especially common elements of the data science stack).
- Publications in peer-reviewed conferences or journals.
- Experience with Spark, SQL, and relational databases.
- Experience with one or more statistical programming languages (R, SAS, Stata).
- Experience with secure coding practices and secure systems development.
- Experience with Unix/Linux.
Other Job Requirements:
- This position is for a fully remote employee who is located within the continental US and is currently enrolled in either a PhD or Masters program in computer science (or a closely related discipline).
- A secure home office environment that is free from background noise and distractions is necessary.
- Tumult Labs requires that employees have high speed broadband cable or fiber internet connection with minimum upload/download speeds of 5Mbps/35Mbps.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Covid vaccination may be required for this role if our clients request it for future contracts and projects.
- Tumult Labs Operating Hours: Monday - Friday, with basic 8hr/day work requirements. Must have online presence for meetings/Slack communications between 11:00 am – 5:00 pm ET. On days with 10:00 AM ET meetings, must have online presence between 10:00 am - 5:00 pm ET.
- Travel: Minimal (less than 10%).
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organization and the overall business objectives of the organization.
Pursuant to various state Fair Pay Acts, below is a summary of compensation elements for this role at the company:
- Anticipated Hourly Range: $25 - $50 an hour based on a full-time schedule. Your ultimate compensation may vary depending on your job-related skills, level of education, and geographical location. For part time roles, the compensation will be adjusted appropriately.
- Paid sick & safe time.
- Company laptop provided for use during internship.