Software Engineer (US)
RemoteRemote - National, United StatesEngineering
At Tumult Labs, we are a world-class team, passionate about expanding the use and sharing of data while respecting individual privacy. Powered by the proven science of differential privacy, and building on decades of groundbreaking privacy research by our founders and scientists, our platform gives institutions the clarity and control to manage sensitive personal data at enterprise scale. Upcoming releases of a number of prominent public data sets are currently being built on our platform.
Our Software Engineers work with a small, dedicated team of scientists and engineers to develop and deploy advanced privacy tools. The ideal candidate will work from specifications to build or modify software applications, potentially participating in all phases of the product development lifecycle, from design and prototyping to execution and shipping. They will assist with coding, debugging, testing, and documentation of code. They will support deployment of applications in cloud computing environments and interaction with relational databases and/or Apache Spark.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strong individual contributor.
- Implements defined features and changes in a timely manner.
- Produces thorough solutions with readable code that follows style conventions.
- Covers new code with tests, improves tests when modifying and refactoring code.
- Incorporates feedback from MR reviews.
- Gives insightful code reviews to fellow engineers.
- Diagnoses problems and produce clear written summaries.
- Asks questions and leverages colleagues when facing blocks.
- Builds a track-record of contributions.
- Co-ownership of a significant body of code; able to make suggestions and identify risks.
- The ability to learn continuously and work independently.
- A working knowledge of Python (especially common parts of the data science stack).
- Experience using Spark, SQL, and relational databases.
- Experience with back-end development technologies.
- The ability to communicate well and write good notes.
- An interest in data privacy and understanding of issues with data privacy.
- A working knowledge of one or more statistical programming languages (R, SAS, Stata).
- Experience with secure coding practices and secure systems development.
- Experience with web application development and front-end interface design.
- Experience using Unix/Linux.
- Able to improve automation, testing, deployment, and development infrastructure.
- Some understanding of core system technology.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- 1-3 years’ experience in software development or software engineering roles is recommended.
- BS or MS in Computer Science (or a closely related discipline) from a regionally accredited institution is recommended.
Other Job Requirements:
- This position is for a fully remote employee who is located within the continental US.
- A secure home office environment that is free from background noise and distractions is necessary.
- Tumult Labs requires that employees have high speed broadband cable or fiber internet connection with minimum upload/download speeds of 5Mbps/35Mbps.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Employment for roles working primarily with government clients are contingent upon the successful completion of fingerprinting and a security background investigation.
- Tumult Labs Operating Hours: Monday - Friday, with basic 8hr/day work requirements. Must have online presence for meetings/Slack communications between 11:00 am – 5:00 pm ET. On days with 10:00 AM ET meetings, must have online presence between 10:00 am - 5:00 pm ET.
- Travel: Minimal (less than 10%).
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organization and the overall business objectives of the organization.
Pursuant to various state Fair Pay Acts, below is a summary of compensation elements for this role at the company:
- Anticipated Salary Range: $85,000 to $135,000 based on a full-time schedule. Your ultimate compensation may vary depending on your job-related skills, work experience, and geographical location. For part time roles, the compensation will be adjusted appropriately.
- Benefits Eligible.
- Company laptop provided.